A mouth guard is a protective device that is used to protect the teeth, gums and jaw from trauma or damage. It is important that you find the right type of mouth guard for your individual need, as this will give you the best protection possible. When it comes to finding the right mouth guard, one option that has become increasingly popular in recent years is a custom-fitted mouth guard. Here we explore why this may be the best choice for some people and what benefits it could bring.
What is a Custom-Fitted Mouth Guard?
A custom-fitted mouth guard is designed to fit snugly over your teeth and gums, covering them completely while providing maximum comfort. This type of mouth guard is professionally made using impressions taken of your teeth and bite by a dental professional such as Dentistry Consilium. The impressions are then used to create an exact replica of your teeth so that the finished product fits comfortably without movement.
Benefits of A Custom-Fitted Mouth Guard
When compared to generic, ‘boil and bite’ or stock mouth guards, there are numerous advantages of having a custom-fitted model:
1. Superior Fit – Custom models provide superior fit as they are created from exact replicas of your teeth; this makes them more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time than generic models which can be loose fitting or move around.
2. Improved Protection – The snug fit that custom models provide means they can offer better protection against tooth fractures and other injuries when compared to generic models which may not completely cover your entire dentition.
3. Easier Breathing – These types of guards also tend to be thinner than their generic counterparts, making them easier to breathe through when worn during physical activity or sports participation; this can help improve performance levels too!
4. Increased Durability – As these mouth guards are crafted from higher quality materials, they tend to last longer; providing better value for money in the long run than disposable options which require frequent replacement due to wear & tear
5. Better Oral Hygiene – When compared with many stock options on the market today, custom fitted mouth guards have been found to reduce bacteria build up in the oral cavity; thus, providing improved oral hygiene overall
Having a custom-fitted mouth guard provides several benefits including superior fit, improved protection, easier breathing, and increased durability: not forgetting improved oral hygiene too! If you would like further information about how having a custom-fitted mouthguard could benefit you then please contact Dentistry Consilium today who will be happy to discuss your individual needs with you further.